Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt


Author: Lindsey Leavitt
Publisher: Bloomsbury, 320 pages
Publication Date: March 26, 2013


From Goodreads:

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.


Review:  


Such a fun, fast read.  Mallory's voice and character are very authentic and she seems like a typical teenager. Mallory realizes that her entire life has been Jeremy and when they break up, it's definitely a wake-up call for her (I remember when my entire life revolved around a guy).  I loved Oliver--are any high school guys actually like this?  The way he interacted with Mallory (and stuck up for her) was so sweet. Mallory's experiment of giving up all technology is an interesting premise and the author shows how hard that would actually be to do.  As I'm sitting here typing on my computer, after checking my e-mail and sending a text (and about to read on my Kindle), I don't think I could go very long at all without my technology. It did drive a few points home about how we interact with people and how that has changed. When Mallory and Oliver talk for three hours on the phone and she notes how much better she would know people if they just talked on the phone (no one talks on the phone anymore), that definitely rang true.  I will definitely be checking out this author in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment