Thursday, October 24, 2013

Book Review: Goodbye, Rebel Blue

Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Author:  Shelley Coriell
Publisher:  Harry N. Abrams, 320 pages
Publication Date:  October 1, 2013

From Goodreads:
Rebecca Blue is a rebel with an attitude whose life is changed by a chance encounter with a soon-to-be dead girl. Rebel (as she’s known) decides to complete the dead girl’s bucket list to prove that choice, not chance, controls her fate. In doing so, she unexpectedly opens her mind and heart to a world she once dismissed—a world of friendships, family, and faith. With a shaken sense of self, she must reevaluate her loner philosophy—particularly when she falls for Nate, the golden boy do-gooder who never looks out for himself. Perfect for fans of Jay Asher’s blockbuster hit Thirteen Reasons Why, Coriell’s second novel features her sharp, engaging voice along with realistic drama and unforgettable characters.

Review:
I really enjoyed this book.  Rebel, the MC, is likable and relatable.  She lost her mom at a young age and lives with her aunt, uncle, and cousin and has never felt like she's accepted for who she is.  So she doesn't really have any close friends, she's always pushed people away and pretended like it doesn't bother her.  She has a short encounter with Kennedy Green in detention one day, and when Kennedy dies suddenly, Rebel can't get Kennedy out of her head and she literally can't get rid of the bucket list.  So she decides to complete the bucket list, which gets her out of her comfort zone by doing things she wouldn't normally do.  This  leads to her meeting new people and growing closer to other people as she discovers who she is and who she wants to be and what's important in life.

In addition to Rebel, the other characters were well done and served a real purpose. Family also played a big role in this book, which is unusual sometimes in YA novels. Loved good guy Nate (and his family) and pie-making Macy.  Rebel grows throughout this novel in a realistic way, opening herself up to new experiences and people and I felt like I was on this journey with her.  Even though the book deals with some serious issues, there was plenty of humor and a bit of romance (I wish there would have been more romance, to be honest).  A well-written, touching, fun, and engaging read.


Posted by:  Pam

6 comments:

  1. I have this one, but haven't gotten to it yet. That seems to be the story of my life for the most part. Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this one now more than I already was. :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too many books to read. I did enjoy this one, hope you do too! ~Pam

      Delete
  2. This one is on my TBR list but I've been kinda wary about picking it up. I don't do a lot of contemporary. I'm glad you liked it though! I will definitely read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading more contemporary, but I still love dystopian, paranormal, and fantasy. I probably read 3 or 4 of those for every 1 contemporary. ~Pam

      Delete
  3. I am really looking forward to reading this book. It's high on my list of contemporaries that I want to read so hopefully not too long now.. I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a fun read, hope you enjoy it! ~Pam

      Delete