Friday, January 24, 2014

Spoiler Discussion: The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

This post is for anyone who has already read The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider and wants to discuss it.  SPOILER ALERT:  DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK.
Ok, I just have to rant (er, discuss) the last quarter of the book.  Basically, what Cassidy does to Ezra.  Now I would rather have a happily ever after ending, but in this case, I didn't mind that they didn't end up together.  I actually understood that, especially the circumstances, plus the fact that it's not that realistic to end up with your high school love.  But it was the WAY Cassidy treated Ezra that made me absolutely hate her.  She finds out that it was her brother who crashed into Ezra (leading to her brother's death) and what does she do?  Takes the coward's way out and just doesn't contact him at all.  It's the night of the dance and she just disappears.  So Ezra finds her and then what she says to him, that he's basically a loser and she's been using him and it was all really a joke and that, in fact, she has a boyfriend.  What?  Why did she have to be so cruel?  Ezra has done absolutely nothing but be a fantastic guy to her.  He doesn't deserve to be treated that way.  And yes, she was trying to push him away, but that doesn't excuse it.  And then she continues to act mad at him, like he did something wrong.  And he's just reeling, not understanding, and then he goes to her house to make her a snowman (why he feels like he should apologize is beyond me, it's not like he knew her brother was dead).  And again, she acts like a complete bitch to him.  And basically it's her fault his dog dies.  Why did the dog have to die?  I kept wondering what was up with the coyotes, it was obviously going to play some sort of part in the story, but killing the dog...I just hated that.  So I lost whatever sympathy I had for Cassidy with the way she treated Ezra.  And then when they're in the waiting room at the vet, he's still being such a great guy, and the only thing she does that's the least bit good is tell him that she wasn't the reason he changed.  It was all him and would have happened even if he had never met her.  Other than that, she was the worst and I ended up hating her character, hating how she treated Ezra, and hated how all of that happened.  Again, it wasn't the breaking up that made me hate her, it was the way it happened that just made me livid. Ok, I vented.


What did you think?

Posted by:  Pam

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, the dog. So sad. I got so mad about that. Why???? I did not understand why that had to happen. And yes, I do agree that Cassidy was pretty awful. But I think that she was lost in her own grief and didn't really know how to deal with it. She definitely didn't treat Ezra the way he deserved to be treated, but I also found it realistic and I appreciated that the author didn't sugarcoat things. I really actually liked that they didn't end up together at the end. I think they were better apart. And I still think that Cassidy helped Ezra grow a lot throughout the book, even if she ended up being a royal biotch in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind that they didn't end up together, Ezra was way too good for her. :) Yes, I agree that it was realistic, but Ezra didn't deserve the way she treated him!! I loved his character and I do think she helped him grow a lot throughout the book, but I still hate her, even though she was grieving, etc it was not Ezra's fault! I did love the book, but boy, did I have strong negative feelings about her. He was just such a good guy!! ~Pam

      Delete
  2. I just finished it and I feel the same!!

    ReplyDelete