Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen, 416 pages
Expected Publication Date: April 15, 2014
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley


From Goodreads:
VENGEANCE WILL BE HERS

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster?

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

MONSTER

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.


Review:
This is a stunning ending to an incredible series. Dark, riveting, heartbreaking at times, I was on the edge of my seat the entire book. Allie is absolutely devastated by Zeke's murder. Even though she has fought and fought against being a monster, with him gone, she definitely goes over to the dark side. All she cares about is killing Sarren. This makes Jackal very happy since he's perfectly fine with being a vampire and killing people.  And then…well, I can't really tell you more than that because it will spoil things.

The characters really make this book stand out.  Allie is an amazing heroine.  She's strong, she's a survivor, but she also fights to keep her humanity and she just never gives up.  And she's badass with her katana.  Jackal (who I never expected to like, but amazingly, I did) is hilarious with his snarky comments, and I enjoyed how he and Allie bickered so much with Kanin playing the part of the annoyed father.  Those moments of humor were definitely needed because the book is intense.  And Zeke, my heart broke for him.  And for Allie.  I actually had tears in my eyes during some parts of the book.  

There's so much action, a ton of fighting scenes, a road trip, and some tender moments as well.  What each character did was so true to who they were.  The ending…just brilliant.  I highly recommend this series.


Posted by:  Pam

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books yet, but I've heard good things about her! I feel like I would really like them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read this series, I think you would love it. ~Pam

      Delete
  2. I have been seeing so many wonderful things about this book! Too bad I haven't even started the series yet. Julie Kagawa is one of those authors I still need to read! I plan on reading The Immortal Rules soon and if I like that as much as I think I will, this series will be the next one I tackle by her! So glad it delivered for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *headdesk* SO I am an idiot, and just realized this was the third book to The Immortal Rules. I kept thinking "Blood of Eden sounds so familiar" but it just clicked. Well YAY. I am glad the series I planned on starting is the one that ends so well.

      Delete
    2. It's such a great ending so you know that going in and you can binge read the series. Yeah, I have no idea where Blood of Eden comes from, usually the series name is the name of the first book. Easy mistake! ~Pam

      Delete