Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Book Review: Onyx and Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout



 
Onyx (Lux #2) 
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen, 366 Pages
Publication Date: August 14, 2012


Opal (Lux #3)
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen, 382 Pages
Publication Date: December 11, 2012

Oh books two and three in the Lux series.  I’ve had these books on my to be read shelf for quite awhile but I wanted to read them when I was back in Poland where I read book one.  I think these books are the perfect substitute for your standard television programming.  So put down the remote and pick up a book or in my case find a great coffee shop in a beautiful city and enjoy yourself!

With only a few characters, straightforward plots, and no world building to keep up with I find these books easy to pick up and put down or just as easy to read in single evening.  Book two focuses on Kat coming into her own powers and the evolving relationship between Kat and Daemon dominate the story.  We begin to learn a little more about how twisted the DOD might be and the fate of some of the missing characters.  It was sad to think about how little Kat’s mom noticed her daughter's coming and going but I guess it was necessary for the plot.  I really enjoyed the suspense of not knowing when disaster was going to strike and the fact that Armentrout didn’t dwell too long in those parts of the story.  I also continue to enjoy the word play between Kat and Daemon but I’m tired of them not trusting and not listening to one another. 
Book three begins with Kat and Daemon finally comfortable with one another and with their Luxen friends dealing with changes in the community.  We continue to learn more about the the DOD, Daedaleues, and other implants in the community.  With this being my first time to read an "alien" series I have to admit I am beginning to wonder just how would humans react to living next door to aliens and how would aliens view us.  Frankly, Armentrout's books make the human race out to be selfish, aggressive, and naïve.  This book ends in a major cliffhanger and I can't wait for book 4 in the series, Origin.
Onyx Goodreads:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies….

Opal Goodreads

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


Posted By: Sheri

3 comments:

  1. How did I not know that you've already read this series? Just finished Obsidian -- loved it -- now I'm anxiously waiting for the library to deliver Onyx to my local branch. Until I read this post, I didn't even know there was a Book #3! Augh! How am I going to read all of this with Bloodlines #5 coming out in 8 days!!!

    Great review and great blog! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite series! I agree, book 2 was a little annoying because Daemon/Katy took forever to figure things out, but book 3 and 4 are so so good in the relationship department. Only a few more weeks until Opposition, thank God! I will definitely be sad to say goodbye to these characters, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am avoiding this series like the plague because I think I will hate it hah. But I have problems with aliens and jerk-y boys for starters. But Ashley is currently reading through this series and enjoying it! I hope you enjoy Origin!

    ReplyDelete