Author: Lori M. Lee
Publisher: Skyscape, 335 pages
Publication Date: August 5, 2014
In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.
Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.
What I liked:
1. Unique blend of fantasy and dystopian. There was a war a long time ago between magic and technology. Magic wielding dictator in charge now. Most of the city lives in poverty. Kai has no idea how, but she can slow down time (one time she actually made a day repeat).
2. Avan. He may be the most different love interest I've read about recently. Not exactly a bad boy, but let's just say he has an interesting history. Have I piqued your interest??
3. Kai's loyalty to her brother. She is focused and will do anything to find and save Reev.
4. Interesting secondary characters. I can't say much more about these characters or I will ruin the plot, but the author presents them in a much more realistic way than authors typically do. I know this is really vague, but that's all I can say.
5. Wraps the main story up but at the same time is a cliffhanger. I know, sort of contradictory. And that ending…gah!!! I cannot wait to find out what happens with a certain character. Arghhhh!!!
I really enjoyed this book…highly recommend.
Posted by: Pam