Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Series Review: The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn Trilogy
Author:  Brandon Sanderson
Publisher:  Tor Books, 2201 pages

From Goodreads (Mistborn, Book #1):
In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?
In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage - Allomancy, a magic of the metals.


Review:
I loved this series and here's why:

1.  Phenomenal world-building.  This is one of those books where epic is the word you us to describe it.  Intricate and well-thought out, you can tell the author planned every single detail of this world in advance.  Brilliantly done.  

2.  Loved the magic in this book.  Allomancy, a mystical hereditary power allowing the burning of metals inside the body to gain special abilities.  So unique.

3.  An amazing cast of characters.  I can't even begin to talk about all of the characters in this book.  There are so many, but I felt like I got to know each and every one of them and I loved each and every one (except for the ones I hated).  

The first and second books were five star reads for me, but I have to admit, the last book was a bit disappointing.  Every thing was wrapped up, all of your questions are answered, but at the same time, the plot got a little repetitive, the philosophy and religion aspect of it took over, and selfishly, I hated the ending.  

I still highly recommend the series.  By the way, all three books are out, but if you don't feel like binge reading, the Kindle version of the trilogy contains a summary of Book 1 at the end of Book 2 and a summary of Books 1 and 2 at the end of Book 3.  Why don't all authors do this???


Posted by:  Pam

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to start this! I planned on starting it really soon but all of the audiobooks I had on hold at the library (that I've been waiting on for MONTHS and figured they weren't coming) have decided to come in now and so I have to prioritize those but still SOON. Good to hear your thoughts on the final book - we will have to discuss when I am finished! And love that there are summaries! Seriously more authors should do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete