1. Sexual tension. Don't we all like this? I want to FEEL the chemistry between the couple.
2. Slow-burn romance. This goes hand in hand with sexual tension. And I want to SEE the romance develop, not just be told about it.
3. In the second book (if it's a series), I want to see the couple working together and see their romance develop into something deeper. This does not happen too often, to be honest.
4. Banter between the characters. Love the banter!
5. Ridiculously attractive love interest. Come on, I know it's not realistic, but a hot guy is a given.
6. Love-to-hate romance. I don't want every book to have this, but when it's done well, it works. And again, usually goes hand in hand with sexual tension (and witty banter).
7. Forbidden love. Who doesn't love it?
8. Insta-love. Obviously.
9. In a series, I hate when the couple is apart for the second book.
10. The overly used plot device of a second love interest. Love triangles are so over (Although, I have to admit, some of my favorite couples are in books with love triangles).
Some of my favorite romances? (And some of these do have some of my dislikes in the book):
Adrian and Sydney. Talk about slow-burn romance with sexual tension (and witty banter).
Katy and Daemon. JLA is the master at sexual tension and witty banter. Oh yeah, and ridiculously hot guys.
Alex and Aiden. Aiden is mine. Just saying.
Clary and Jace. The way this couple is written, I FEEL EVERYTHING.
Will and Tessa. Oh Will…I will forever love you. Sorry, Jem.
Violet and Lincoln. I cried for over 10 chapters of one of these books. And I hardly ever cry in books. One of the most beautiful relationships. Ever.
Iolanthe and Titus. Banter banter banter. Love them.
Caymen and Xander. Again, so much witty banter!
Gaby and Rafa. Sexual tension…SO MUCH OF IT.
Posted by: Pam