Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Review: Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally

Jesse's Girl (Hundred Oaks)
Author:  Miranda Kenneally
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Fire, 304 pages
Expected Publication Date:  July 7, 2015
*ARC received by publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?


Review:
I liked Jesse's Girl, it was a cute book.  Reading about Maya and Jesse getting to know each other, having a fun Ferris Bueller's Day Off kind of day exploring Nashville, was fun.  There were many times I found myself smiling so if you're in the mood for a happy and sweet romance, you will enjoy it.

Reading about the music scene was interesting, and I liked the Nashville setting (I used to live in Nashville, actually and even in Franklin).  The message of working hard and following your dreams was a good message.  Jesse was cute and I appreciated the fact that he was struggling with his fame and unsure about trusting Maya.  That rang true.  Maya…she was just okay for me and I can't really pinpoint why.  Just a meh feeling.  

Jesse's Girl is a quick and entertaining read…the perfect beach book.  


Posted by:  Pam

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute read. I can't say I've read many books set in Nashville, so that intrigues me. But, it doesn't sound like something I need to run for. Great review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I have seen this one before. Thank you for reviewing it. It does look like the perfect summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything by Miranda Kenneally, but I kick myself every time I read a review of one of her books that is just sitting on my shelves. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book just made me so happy! But I do think it read a little young.. or at least Maya's voice was young. Still, I did enjoy it. I hope your next read will blow you away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just need to read something by Miranda Kenneally already! I like the sound of this one but I will probably start with Breathe, Annie, Breathe (mostly, since I own that one).

    ReplyDelete