Monday, August 24, 2015

Book Review: Riot of Storm and Smoke by Jennifer Ellision

Riot of Storm and Smoke (Threats of Sky and Sea #2)
Author:  Jennifer Ellision
Publisher:  Self-published, 239 pages
Publication Date:  August 18, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
Bree and her friends have escaped the clutches of the Egrian King, but their troubles are far from over. Still reeling from the secrets that drew new breath when her father took his last, Bree sets off for the safety of Nereidium-- the kingdom she's just learned is hers.

But with the King's ire at its peak and war a certainty, Nereidium is no longer safe. As Prince Caden rallies the Egrian people against his tyrant father, Bree, Princess Aleta, and Tregle race to the Nereid shore to warn them of the incoming danger—and to put the Nereid Princess on the throne.

The only trouble there: Bree can’t bring herself to reveal that the Princess is her.

It’s not a dilemma she can waste time pondering. With a new weapon in his arsenal, the King's strikes are sure to be bolder than ever before. And Bree may not be ready to wear a crown… but she won't let her kingdom down without a fight.


Review:
I loved this sequel.  Bree, Aleta, and Tregle are on the run, trying to get to Nereidium and away from the King. Bree is struggling with her power and with who she is.   Caden is now accused of treason by his father and is trying to rally troops to defeat him.  There's action, politics, and some romance, although Bree and Caden are apart for most of the book.  

The book is told from both Bree and Caden's POV, which I enjoyed because we get to know Caden better.  Caden, the academic prince who excels at strategy, but who has to become a soldier.  Caden, who has to deal with knowing his own father, the man who he remembers teaching him to ride a horse, is trying to kill him.  Poor Caden!

If you like fantasy books, I highly recommend this series.  Elemental magic, solid world-building, fast-paced plot, strong characterization…this series has it all.  Can't wait for the next book, these cliffhangers are killing me!


Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a dazzling read. I actually never heard of this one, no surprise there. I love the startling blue of the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep thank you for keeping this series on my radar. I keep meaning to read it but just haven't gotten to it yet! At least I will be spared waiting for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this series before, but now I am really intrigued by it. I absolutely love the cover for this one too, it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy when I saw this was gonna be dual point of view! That was such a great surprise. I think it definitely added to the narrative. I'm excited for the last book, definitely!

    ReplyDelete