Thursday, March 27, 2014

Audiobook Review: Beautiful Redemption by Garcia and Stohl

Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles #4)
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little & Brown Publishers, 456 pages
Publication Date: October 23, 2012

Narrator: Kevin T. Collins and Khristine Hvam
Listening Length:11 hours and 21 minutes
Audiobook Publisher: Hachette Audio

From Goodreads:
Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?

Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.

Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes -- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series.


Review:
In this final book, Ethan and Lena end up happily in one another’s arms even though they have lost many loved ones along the way. I enjoyed learning a little more about the Far Keep and the world inhabited by lost souls.  I was glad to see some folks destroyed and some others happily moving forward.  All of this to say, a final book seemed somewhat unnecessary since I felt that book three was too long.  If I had been the editor, I would have made the series three books and simply combined books three and four.   
In terms of the narrators, which is a critical part of an audiobook, Kevin Collins continues to charm me but I was distracted by the new voice narrating Lena’s parts (Khristine Hvam) of the books.  On the one hand I understand why audio books choose to have different narrators when there are different points of view but I really don’t like the technique in a long series particularly when one narrator is responsible for 95% of the content.

Regardless, I DID IT!  I listened to all five books and am truly glad I made it through.  I have to admit there is something inherently interesting about the fact that this series has been translated into so many languages and got a movie deal.  Even though I enjoyed the books I don’t actually understand why THIS series and not some of the others out there?  Any insight people can provide I would love to hear!
By the way I do not currently plan to start listening to Dangerous Creatures, the related series about Ridley and Link but am curious what people think about it.

Posted By: Sheri

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the series! Btw I saw the movie and hated it, but I've often wondered the same thing. Not that the series wasn't good, it was, but for me there are a lot of other YA series that I think would make better movies than this particular story. Idk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this overall. I gave up after book one because I found it too long and too boring. After finishing book one, I couldn't understand why this book got a movie deal either. It wasn't that amazing of a book and it didn't blow me away. I've read so many other series that I feel would work better as a movie. I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous! I need to read this one. It is the last one, it was on my to-do list last year but I just could not motivate myself. I agree with you, I thought the third book was just too long. I actually have been listening to the audio versions, I had not realized there is going to be another narrator... must get to it eventually!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete