Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1)
Author:  Amanda Hocking
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin, 321 pages
Publication Date:  January 6, 2015

From Goodreads:
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?

Review:
I really do not enjoy writing negative reviews but I did not like this book and here's why:

1.  The premise of this book just irked me.  Bryn is a tracker and she tracks changelings.  Basically, the way this world works is that the Kanin don't like hanging with humans so they live apart, but to get money, they switch their babies with the babies of wealthy families and then drop the human babies off at orphanages.  Then, when the changelings (the Kanin babies that have been living with a human family) are almost adults, the tracker gets to know them, earns their trust, then reveals who they are and takes them back to her world and they give their trust money to their "real" parents.  What???  And Bryn has no problem with this, apparently.  She doesn't seem to struggle with it, she's proud of being such a great tracker, she has such "honor" (yeah, right) that she thinks it's a bad idea to fall in love with her boss. How am I supposed to feel about this? Am I supposed to like her?  Like anyone? Root for her?  Just so strange.  At this point, I'm rooting for Konstantin.  Now, to be fair, maybe that's the point.  Maybe Bryn figures out she's an idiot and her world is wrong, etc.  But I will never know because I'm not reading any more in this series.

2.  Bryn acts like a robot and I just didn't like her.

3.  Almost nothing happens.  Glacial moving plot.  A bunch of boring nothing.

Posted by:  Pam

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like this one! I actually hadn't even heard of it, but the synopsis sounds good. But the fact that nothing happens and you didn't like the main character? Sounds like a recipe for failure. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Pam. :( This one wasn't on a my radar since the author is a fan of love triangles, but I wish it had worked better for you. :/ But it's smart to just move on at this point - don't keep reading the series if you're only going to hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that sucks...but it's over now, right? :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. I told Audible I would review this one cause I thought I saw good reviews floating around. Now I am scared to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, this is honestly not one I would have picked up anyway, but I'll definitely not waste my time. I HATE slow, boring books. I rarely finish them. I hope your next book is better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't enjoy writing negative reviews either :(. Have you read Amanda Hocking's other novels? I was so-so on them so I forgo this one, but what you mention re: the changeling bit not making sense -- that's a huge part of the Trylle books. Or at least the first book, if I'm remembering correctly, so you might not like those others if you've had a hard time with accepting the premise here :(. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this book!

    ReplyDelete